Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Bellatrix Lestrange Costume...part 1...the dress

I probably should not be taking on any more projects at this time, but that's what I do so, I'm making a new costume. The library I work at is having an all day Harry Potter Day event on July 31st. So of course I'm aiming to get a costume made up for it. I do work a 10 hour shift that day, so I may as well have fun while I'm there!

Since I do tend to be drawn towards the darker characters, I chose to go with Bellatrix Lestrange.


I chose this dress version because 1.) I just like it 2.) construction shouldn't be too complex and 3.) very importantly, it's distressed. So when I have a million other projects and I need to get a fast costume made: chose one that doesn't need finished edges. 

I zoomed into my reference picture and saw that the fabric has faint scrolls all throughout it (not counting the dominant painted or embroidered on ones). And so I knew exactly what fabric I was going to use, because I had already bought some years ago because I liked it. I had to run to the fabric store to get more yards, but at least I didn't have to make any decisions. Though they didn't have enough fabric to make the hood that is attached in the back. So if I manage to find more fabric and time, the hood may get added.

Cutting out and sewing the dress took only about 2 hours which was nice and I sewed in the front gathered stitch. I still need to shape the neckline a bit and cut off, and distress, the hemline. But all in all, the shape is good.Also note, that is not the corset in the picture, it's a random piece of black fabric I put on just for reference.



I was hoping to be able to start working on the sleeves but all the stores I checked today didn't carry 5/32 black eyelets. I was hoping to get small black ones so they will blend into the fabric. I'm going to check online to see if I can order them and have them shipped in time to finish up all the lacing.

Still to do:
1.) Corset
2.) Sleeves
3.) Distressing
4.) Final details (painting on scrolls)
4. Wig...or decide to destroy my own hair
5.) Wand
6.) Jewelry

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry, what pattern did you use? I would love a pattern, I'm getting crazy sewing this 😭

Kathleen said...

Hi Ana! I think I used McCall's pattern #M5499 for the dress. Though, I did change out the neckline and used my own patterns for the sleeves and corset.

Here's what the pattern looked like:
http://cosplay.mccall.com/m5499-products-8715.php?page_id=5755
or
https://www.amazon.com/McCalls-Patterns-Childrens-Medieval-Costumes/dp/B004OA7ALY

I liked it because I could just make it big enough to slip over my head without needing to put in a zipper. The corset will then cinch it in and give the shape.

Hope that helps!
Kathleen