I probably should not be taking on any more projects at this time, but that's what I do so, I'm making a new costume. The library I work at is having an all day Harry Potter Day event on July 31st. So of course I'm aiming to get a costume made up for it. I do work a 10 hour shift that day, so I may as well have fun while I'm there!
Since I do tend to be drawn towards the darker characters, I chose to go with Bellatrix Lestrange.
I chose this dress version because 1.) I just like it 2.) construction shouldn't be too complex and 3.) very importantly, it's distressed. So when I have a million other projects and I need to get a fast costume made: chose one that doesn't need finished edges.
I zoomed into my reference picture and saw that the fabric has faint scrolls all throughout it (not counting the dominant painted or embroidered on ones). And so I knew exactly what fabric I was going to use, because I had already bought some years ago because I liked it. I had to run to the fabric store to get more yards, but at least I didn't have to make any decisions. Though they didn't have enough fabric to make the hood that is attached in the back. So if I manage to find more fabric and time, the hood may get added.
Cutting out and sewing the dress took only about 2 hours which was nice and I sewed in the front gathered stitch. I still need to shape the neckline a bit and cut off, and distress, the hemline. But all in all, the shape is good.Also note, that is not the corset in the picture, it's a random piece of black fabric I put on just for reference.
I was hoping to be able to start working on the sleeves but all the stores I checked today didn't carry 5/32 black eyelets. I was hoping to get small black ones so they will blend into the fabric. I'm going to check online to see if I can order them and have them shipped in time to finish up all the lacing.
Still to do:
4.) Final details (painting on scrolls)
4. Wig...or decide to destroy my own hair